Friday, March 11, 2016

Pre/Post- Op

March 10, 2016

Today is the big day! Today I am having a bilateral disc repair with a possible fat graft on the right side but he is trying to avoid that to the best of his abilities. I am also having 6 wisdom removed. I have full faith in Dr. Piper and his teams abilities. We went to the hospital at 530 am since my surgery was at 730. I went into pre-op and they put me in a gown with compression tights. The nurse also put my IV in and gave me some nasal spray. I was then rolled back to another pre-op room where I met some of my nurses and the anesthesiologist. I will not lie I was terrified and crying. But the nurses were amazing at calming me down and making me as comfortable as possible. The last think I remember is giving my mom a hug goodbye. Then I was out like a light...


Post -Op

I woke up in the PACU (recovery) I thought I had just dozed off before going into the operating room. I had no idea I just had my surgery and I tried moving my mouth and I was like HOLY CANNOLI!  I DID IT!!!!!!!!!!!!! I had ice packs on my face along with nasal air tubes and a humidifier mask is what I think it was. It made my day to get my phone and see all the text messages I got from people. The way the surgery went it he could repair BOTH discs! No fat graft for me.. YAY! We chilled in the recovery room for about 2 hours. Then I got to go to my room and meet my fantastic nurse! *Side note: the entire staff was amazing I don't think I would done as well without them, they were truly amazing!
I got to my room around 330 pm and I had to start walking at 4. The first walk was the hardest my legs were very wobbly and I was dizzy. I did begin to throw up a little before and after the walk. It was fine .  *side note: even if you are not feeling like you're going to throw up get the medication on board right away, I felt fine when she asked the first time then I felt sick to my stomach. But if you do throw up don't worry it wont bother the repairs, it will just feel a little weird. Plus your nurse will be on stand by with suction to help get it our of your mouth. I then made sure I walked every 30 minutes I promise you it makes all the difference in the world! In between walk I did keep falling asleep. I was 100% out of it. Before every walk my nurse and my mom had to yell and shake at me every time!  Even the friend I made had the surgery the same day and we got rooms next to each other, which was nice we just threw thumbs at each other to see how we were doing. I had to keep walking until 11pm and then I was done.. As soon as I sat down I passed out.
Me enjoying the messages everyone sent :)
Now the journey of recovery begins...

2 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Going into surgery can be such a scary thing. There’s a lot to be said for having confidence in the individuals that will be performing your surgery. They say that it’s very important that patients are in a good mental state prior to going into surgery and it seems like you were. Good luck with your recovery journey!

    ReplyDelete